View Single Post
Old 12-07-2004, 04:03 PM

I have a '94 landcruiser that i used once to tow a car trailer carrying a landrover on it for a few hundred miles......When I was returning the empty trailer that I had borrowed to the owner I was happily motoring down the hifghway and I heard a reproducible noise coming from the front end. It was a destinct clicking that varied with speed. I was certain I had dignosed a bad front wheel bearing. I decided to overhaul the front axle with new wheels bearings and kingpin bearings....$400 in parts later (I did all of the work myself) I had eliminated the noise and was very proud. Two weeks later the noise returned I realized this time what the noise this time was (and also realized DOH!) what the noise was the first time around.....I had been puching trailers around on both instances when the noise occured....To push trailers I have a front mounted reciever hitch which I cleverly hid behind a liscense plate mounted on a spring loaded fuel tank cover from an old muscle car.....Anyhow...With the drawbar in the recciever the plate at certain speeds would catch enough wind to bounce up and down and rythmically hit the drawbar......Anyhow. My front axle needed rehab anyway.....Your fuel filter reminded me of this tale.....Now if I could just procure an old diesel MB....Rob Concord, MA