View Single Post
Old 12-11-2004, 05:11 PM

Peter,

Thanks. When (if) I get to that I think I will go the shim route. But in the meantime I tested the ALDA for leaks and guess what? My problem seems to be a leaky ALDA. Gsxr says it should hold 15psi or leak down slowly.

All I had was my cheap generic parts store preasure gauge and my human lung Mityvac. First I tested my measuring equipment by blowing into the preasure hose connected to the gage covering the hole with my tongue and observing that the system held my mighty 2psi without any leak down.

Then I tested the ALDA by connecting my testing system to the ALDA where the preasure line connects and performed the same test. The ALDA leaks down from 2psi to 1psi in about 8 secs.

Based on GSXR's stats about I think these means my shaft seal is toast and I need to replace it. That would certainly explain my 5.5psi readings on boost preasure mentioned above.

Naturally the Manhattan Benz shop had no such part after going through 4 parts guys until I got the one that understood the part I was looking for.

The replacement ALDA is $145 retail here, but they didn't even have the whole thing. (This is actually the price for the primer pump assembly. Still have no idea what an ALDA unit sells for.)

I'll try a rebuild and see what happens.

Thanks all,

Last edited by msyoder; 12-12-2004 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Incorrect price part