View Single Post
Old 03-31-2001, 02:23 PM
Paul L. Coffey

I have an '84 Euro 500SEC with 205,000 miles on it. Car runs great! Except, I my valve train rattles when the car is warmed up. When I first start the car in the morning, everything is quiet and the oil gauge pegs out. As it get warm, the oil pressure drops to about 1.5 to 2, which I believe is normal (maybe a little on the low side) and the rockers are rattling common to the #1,2,3,6,7 position (at least that's what it sounds like). I have not confirmed this with the car warm by removing the valve covers and either starting it (messy) or checking to see if the ball studs have sank. I have replaced all the lifters (ball studs) and did not re-shim any of the rockers. I had checked the new ball studs with a go/no-go gauge and they all seemed fine. My suspicion is: I am not getting enough oil pressure to the top end when the car is warm, due to the clearances opening up c/t the lower end. Or the oil pump is just plain wore out. What I'm wanting to know is: am I on the right track? or do I need to do something else? I'm on an economy budget here and would like to fix this potential problem before it gets any worse. Summer is coming and it is hot here. Oil pressure will drop to about 1.2 as it did last year. Save my SEC. Thanks, Paul