View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Brandon314159

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodhiBenz1987
Y
Most of my friends in college (I graduated in May) had no appreciation for my car ... they assumed because I was always repairing things (or, more often, paying to have things repaired) that it was some sort of junker. I always felt like telling them to come find me when their 2004 Lexus or Land Rover had 200,000 miles on it and we'll see where they stand. Guys generally had a respect for my car ("Oooooo you have a Mercedes!" or "this has 200,000 miles on it?!"), but other girls tended to miss the boat ("Wow, your car is loud" or "this thing is so old").
Yeah I did a presentation in my University Studies class the other day and the question was presented.
What car do you drive?
I spit out "1981 300SD Turbo Diesel Mercedes Benz" faster than I should have...
I got a little "wow" but all was quiet.
Then a girl asked if my car was restored...her 1983 BMW was "fully restored"..
I just said..."um..its stock?" haha

I have gained the respect of my friends in mercedes diesel but this comes from pulling them out of ditches, power sliding, and throwing smoke. With two of my friends driving a 96 Oldsmobile and a 97 RX-7, I can usually keep up with them. Its not all that impressive until you realize my car has 270+k miles, gets 25-27mpg, and still handles beautifuly.

My other car? A 1969 Bug...odd huh? Owning one of the cheapest and most expensive cars made during the 'old days'

Have fun with that restoration project...it can devour time like no other. (But sometimes that is a good thing )