View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
I'm in complete agreement with this. When you press the pedal down half way, the only thing the additional fuel does it to cool off the combustion chamber further. I have tried to start the 123 (previous vehicle) with no pedal and it appeared to almost catch. Then, when giving it pedal, it went right back to cranking with no firing.

My strong recommendation is to try and start marginal engines with no fuel for at least the first fifteen seconds. If it appears to begin to fire, just leave that key in the start position for another 15 seconds while the starter "helps" the engine to continue running. You won't hurt the starter this way and, after 15 seconds of combined running of several cylinders and the starter, the engine should run at idle, by itself. The timing of when to let go of the key requires some practice and patience.

Fortunately, I have not had to implement this procedure with either of these two because they have had no starting problems with good batteries and plugs.
I was going to call you out on this start procdure Brian, but thought I look at my OM first. I didn't see the start instructions on other side of page till just now, I've never done that either. The most I've done is the 1/2 throttle to to ingage the fast idle then let off the pedal and let her start, and I have only done that in the winter and never in the summer.

Man I never understood why anyone would want to live so far NORTH and then complain about it all winter.

'13 Chrysler 200 Touring Candy Red. Grandma's ride.

Age and cunning will always over come youth and vigor.

Last edited by oldnavy; 12-20-2004 at 05:59 PM.