View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 PM

Bought back the diesel!!!

I once purchased a '91 350sdl for $2500 which I was too busy to fuss with. I ended up selling it to a former coworker for $3250 about a month after I got it.

As it turns out, it wasn't the car for her. After years of driving Honda's, she got used to the lHonda low maintenance lifestyle and just could not cope with the occassional repair these old benzes require.

In the end, she asked me if I was interested in buying the car back from her. After explaining my limited student budget, I bought it back for $1000. So it is mine once again.

This is the problem of the car, maybe someone here can help. The alternator failed on it so she got some yahoo mechanic to put in an Autozone alternator. Well, the guy put in the wrong one (from a '90 i think) and it started chewing up the belt because the pulley from the wrong alternator was 'misaligned' with the other pulleys. Anyway, I just purchased the proper alternator and will attempt to put it in soon. I also suspect the mechanic also failed to connect all the wires in the back of the alternator.

As I look at the back of the alternator, there seems to be room for 3 connections. One big one secured with a 13mm nut, a smaller one secured with an 8 or 9mm nut, and a spade with "+" next to it. The mechanic left the spade open with nothing attached to it. My question is, should something be attached to that spade? I can't find anything in the vicinity of the alternator that might fit into it.

Can anyone help?