View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 06:55 PM

Drove first 500SL today

I drove an R129 today, which was a rather exciting prospect, I should say! :p

It was a 1990 500SL - very early - with a low mileage for its age.

Firstly, it looked stunning. I've never had any time to inspect an SL, but the old 8 (/9?) hole MB wheels look great - much better than in photos. The car had huge presence - just sitting still it felt like standing next to a lion while it sleeps, though I have never noticed such presence in the SL before. The colour helped - metallic black the same as my 190E. I would love that pairing on my driveway :p.

Stepping inside, I was surprised by the small cabin. I expected it to feel primarily like a luxurious Mercedes, but the first impression is of being in a sports car, albeit a large and, yes, luxurious one. It was nice as it felt different to Mercedes saloons, but I was concerned as to whether the drive would compliment the interior sacrifices.

I only drove about 3 miles, with the hard top on so I could not enjoy the roof down experience. It seemed a great cruiser, although not as pleasant a ride quality as an E/S-class, still very Mercedes-like.

At first, I felt it didn't have as much low-down 'lug' as I expected. However, I realised that it's just rather highly geared. On the short, twisty drive I took this was a shame as any excursion through the rev range meant hitting rather too high a speed...

But what excursions! This is the fastest car I have ever driven, without question! It is almost violently fast through second gear on a narrow road. I expected it to be woofly-fast like any V8 - a 740i or an A8 4.2, but realise now what a real V8 in a small package can really do! All that engine working through a highly-geared automatic did still mean it was not as satisfyingly torquey as I was expecting though.

Around the city, I fear you would never feel the V8's power, and the size and low driving position mean you are better off in a Mercedes saloon. Leaving the city and driving 600 miles across country with the roof down would be heaven however.

As nice as the engine, ride, and looks are though, I came away slightly less excited about it. Grinning like a child when I first saw it - even more so when I heard it start up - the grin turned more to satisfied appreciation when I was done. Perhaps that is an even finer compliment than a grin. Still standing next to it, getting into it and driving it all feel special.

But it's a little large so that ultimately - slightly more so even than my 190E - it's at its best on fast roads or motorways. I am highly convinced of its competence, and believe it would make an excellent companion to own, and use daily.

The rub is.. I drove a 2001 S-class just a month ago. It felt similar, but with a better view out of the windows. The feeling when sitting in the driver's seat was much less 'cool', but still the handling is very competent and driving the car felt barely different. However it's rather more sensible and goes almost as fast.

So to summarise, it's very impressive that Mercedes can make a low-slung 2-seat sports car drive like an S-class... but on the other hand, it's a shame Mercedes' low-slung 2-seat sports car drives like an S-class..

Russ

P.S. So I guess it sounds like I'm after a 500E then?
http://www.maylane.demon.co.uk/190esmall.jpghttp://www.maylane.demon.co.uk/190esmall2.jpg