View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM

There is an old saying. If you want to see a parts man smile, tell him the make, model, and year when you ask for parts. With little to go on here, Im assuming this is a Mercedes. Because of the mention of trigger points I'll venture another guess that this is a 71 3.5 or a 72-75 4.5. You can use paper to run through the points to clean the blue buildup, But I wouldn't use a treasury note, because it is dirty. I would use the FOLDED edge of a clean piece of white paper. If you use the ragged edge of a piece of paper, you run the risk of leaving paper fibers between the points. There is very little current flow through these points so it doesn't take much to muck them up. Also the condensor inside the dist is useless and creates more problems than if it weren't there. The smart thing to do if you haven't done it already is to snip the wire. There may be some gap specs somewhere, but I agree with PSFRED that setting dwell to 30* with a meter is the only way to go. I also wouldn't change the trigger points unless they had failed. They are expensive and just need the oil that travels up the distrib shaft cleaned out with carb cleaner. Spinning v belts on is a bad idea. It saves labor time but damages the belt. I don't think you can even do it anymore with the new style service free belt. It will probable break on install.

Peter