View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchmidt
Folks,

Still having intermittent ABS light sightings. More in the cold, less when warmer. I did pull the sensors out of the backing plates yesterday. There was a little grease on one. I washed them off with brake cleaner. I also sprayed cleaner in the sensor hole and turned the rotors. A little bit of stuff came out but not much. I went for a ride last night and the light came on again... RATS!

I found the connectors from the sensors. The driver's side is near the master cylinder. The passenger side is in front of the washer fluid tank. Both sensors measured as "opens". Does this sound right? I checked on fastlane and they go for about $150 each, so this isn't really a replace and try it unless I'm more sure.

I think the next step ( depending if anyone has an answer on the resistance question) is to actually take off the rotors and clean them.

Other suggestions? I did not try to check the rear sensor yet, I suppose that could be the culprit here as well.

Chuck
CSchmidt,
Before going into any conclusion you MUST do the rear wheels also. MB ABS systems are awesome and very very precise. If there is one false reading the system shuts itself off and thats when you get the light. In your case (SDL) you should have sensors on all four wheels. Unlike mine that has a sensor on the differential. Do the very same thing you did to the front ones and then lets go from there!! Good luck!

1985 300SD (W126) 300K miles