View Single Post
Old 04-07-2001, 11:48 AM

ShagBenz,

I have used Dyno oil (Valvoline) all of my life. I recently purchased Mobil 1 15W50 for my Mercedes. I will continue to use Mobil 1 on my Mercedes. I will switch to Mobil 1 10W30 weight for the winter.

The reason I decided to switch to Mobil 1 is based on recommendations from prior posts and the fact that Mercedes recommends the use of Mobil 1 for their cars with FSS. I ignore FSS and change my oil every 3,000 miles.

Another reason I decided to switch to Mobil 1 is that on short trips (less than 20 minutes) during the Chicago winter, I get a white gunk build-up under the oil cap which I believe also exists in the valve covers. Discussions from prior posts indicate that the white gunk build-up is caused from the engine not getting to full operating temperature. I find this to be true because on long trips (45 minutes) during a Chicago winter the white gunk is gone (liquidified back into oil).

The cost difference is a little more for Mobil 1 (purchased on sale at Ammes for $4.07/Qt.) but I feel that the long term effect (longer engine life) is well worth it.

I would not mix different brands of oil since they each use their own blends of additives. It would be cheap insurance to change over to Mobil 1 instead of adding a quart to existing oil.

With any properly maintained vehicle, the engine will outlast the body.
1992 Chevy Astro, 205K Miles