View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
Biodiesel costs me somewhere between .50 cents and 2.50$ depending on where I get it. Commercial B100 around here is a hair over 3.00 a gallon.

Yes, aklim, we know that it is more expensive per gallon than regular diesel. But regular diesel is more expensive than gasoline, so what are you even doing on this board? Oh, well I guess there is more to a fuel choice than its pump cost. Prices of biodiesel are on there way down. You've only given the tax incentive program 11 days.

The thickness of your wallet today is not the only qualifier for fuels. One theory in conservation is that conserving resources today is cheaper than the resulting problems from running out too early. Your wallet tommorow will thank the decision your wallet today made. As a nation, the costs of increased CO2 output will be tremendous.

And I'm not the only one who thinks this, many large companies and agricultural customers are using biodiesel blends for its engine benefits and sustainability. Plus, it helps put some weight behind those patriotic bumperstickers that are so common.

Peace,
Sam
My C280 got about 24 mpg cruising and this diesel gets 30 cruising. That is why I went to diesel. Because the wife has a lot of driving for her classes next few semesters that are out of town. Diesel costs about 20 cents more than premium unleaded but gets about 5 mpg more either in the city or highway so it makes financial sense to go with a diesel if you are driving long distances. That is why I went with it in spite of the fact that if you come down to Madison and I gave you $10 for every diesel pump and you gave me $1 for every gas pump, I will still come out ahead, way way ahead. Around the east side of Madison, I have found 3 places that sell diesel for a grand total of 3 pimps. Since one of them is about a mile away from my house, it isn't too bad. I also have the bad habit of running down to the empty mark before I fill up. Now I have to watch it more carefully. But like I said, the savings make it work.

What tax incentive are you talking about? I heard something about some incentives so I asked the local biodiesel distributor shop (80 miles away) and they had no clue about any sort of incentive. What incentive and what will it do and how does it work? You've lost me here. Anyways, I doubt I will be buying biodiesel retularly because it won't make sense for me to drive 80 miles there and 80 miles back for a tank of fuel. Maybe once in a long while to play with it but not as a regular event.

Personally, I have never seen fleet reports that prove conclusively that biodiesel will save the engine. I would like to see the numbers because that is what makes me comfortable. I'd like to see say a report that shows 2 fleets side by side. One iwth biodiesel and one without and the maintenance cost. Since people are saying it is better for the engine. Has anyone run a test were we can show definately one way or the other?

I am sure that if real savings can be shown, biodiesel will take off a lot faster than it is now.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow

Last edited by aklim; 01-12-2005 at 02:34 AM.