View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower
After all this talk, gotta consider that the third seat floor space is very shallow, but lots of length and width- the worst form for a fuel tank. I think you'll need more depth to pull fuel without consistantly sucking air. No real "low point" either. I'd put the WVO in the main cell and either replace the spare tire space or the jack/first aid kit/rear wiper fluid area with a fuel cell for diesel. You could then plumb it to the sealed third seat floor space tank.
O.K. You make a very valid point. The third seat tank idea just won't work unless you are willing to have the tank rise above the plain of the tailgate. You have no more than 3 inches of depth, and that's being generous. So.... my new idea is to put the tank in the spare tire compartment. I made a cardboard mock-up and figure it will hold 8-10 gallons of WVO! Cool, huh? And you won't have to sacrifice any cargo room. Of course, I'll have to sacrifice my spare tire. But after thinking about this for a bit, I've only actually used my spare tire once in the past 7 years. The plumbing should be easy enough, just drill thru the bottom pan of the spare tire compartment. (Just a side point: I love saying stuff like "the plumbing should be easy..." , because even though I don't truly believe that, it seems like a nice positive thought to start out with )

Out of curiosity, has anyone with a wagon actually done this, that is, put a spare tank where the spare tire goes? If you have, or have any suggestions or ideas that would help, let me know. Thank you.
Damon Fite---1983 300TD Wagon---303,000+miles