View Single Post
Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
TURBODIESEL

Grounding strap and other questions

Hello, I posted this question in my "project" post but I need to find these out quick.

A little background info:
For those of you who have not looked at your grounding strap (body to engine) LOOK AT IT
mine lasted through 2 engines -
for awhile - a couple months say my car was getting harder and harder to start in the cold - turning real slow
Then one day I go out to start the car - first I get no glow .. Hmmm I say
Then I get no crank .... HMMMMM I say
Took me awhile to figure it out then I look to see the little greasy snake hanging off the bottom of the car.....
ended up running a piece of wire from the - bat to the engine to get going, but the insulation melted right off the wire due to the high load.

It turns out my starter was pulling so much juice that the - batt wire itself had melted, and I assume this is what killed the ground strap as well.

SO
Where do I get ahold of a NEW one of these?

And an unrelated question ---- I am looking for NEW wire protectors. Yeah wire protectors, the little rubber things between the body and each door, these are all split and falling off. While I am redoing all the electrical I would like to replace these (whatever the real name is)....
Let me know if anybody knows - and if I have to go to a dealer , I will, I have done it before .... (matching tumblers)
2007 OM642 Jeep WK 4x4