Thread: IP Troubles
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitguy
Hi Folks , long story , I was changing the timing chain on a 617 and lost tension on the chain requiring re-timing of the cam to TDC . I have the cam timed now but in trying to check the IP timing the pump is acting peculiarly The fuel line from the pump to the #1 injector is removed , the delivery valve removed ( spring taken out ) and delivery valve replaced . This should allow me to see when the fuel begins welling up in the delivery valve ( should be approx. 23-25 BTDC ) but when I pump up the pressure with the primer pump fuel squirts out of the delivery valve in a stream . Yeah, I know it seems crazy, but that's just what it does. Keep the faith, keep turning slowly, when you get to the drip point it's very noticable and pretty cool I thought - and very repeatable. After you see it, rotate nearly 2 full turns and see it again. You really can nail it to 1 degree. Also is it possible that I'm wasting my time and the relationship between the crank and IP were undisturbed by my screw-up ?
If you change the front seal, make really sure you mark the parts first, cause it's easy to get something 180 off. Lot of good info to search on here. Good luck

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

listen, look, .........and duck.