View Single Post
Old 01-31-2005, 05:13 PM
BusyBenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANT '71 280SEL
I change my oil hot, in fact it takes 35 minutes for me to get to the shop (where I work; 25 miles away, all highway). I just pull the car in and put it on the lift, etc. It's funny because I have it down where I don't really get any of the oil on me, well, just a few drops but I just wipe those off right away. While the car's draining I check tires, etc.

I've only changed oil on the SDL once, and the belly pan is a bit of a pain, but oh well. I have some oil leak that is puddling oil in it so when I get it off the car it's pretty messy.

One question for you guys, particularly Larry, do you install the o-ring dry or wet on the oil filter canister? I did my SDL dry, have the bolts torqued down really tight, and it is leaking. I wanted to tighten the nuts down more, but they were already too tight. Any advice? I always wetten the gaskets on spin-on filters that I install at work.

Thanks
David
I know you intended this question for Larry, but this thread is almost a year old!

Did you also replace the copper crush washer? If not, it will likely leak! Yes, you should oil the O-rings, and no, would not be the reason for leaks if you did not wet the O-rings. BB