View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 PM
BusyBenz

And now from the 124 model group, 1986 through 1995, 300 D / 300 E / E 300 D and E 320 sedan models and wagon group 300 TD / 300 TE An ever more refined group of Mercedes Benz automobiles, I did own a 123 model 300 DT once

Many diesel diehards here, many love their older 123 models as much as I do my 124 model, but secretly, the 123 guys and gals here would die to have a 124!

As much as I do like and apprieciate the older 5 cylinder, 617's they are called, I prefer the 6 cylinder 603 engine more simply because I know this engine better than the 617. and gets better fuel economy, more power, smoother and quiet too! Both are bullet proof, and if maintained and operated properly, both can achieve 400K and some have gone more miles.

A small percentage of the 603's (1986-87 300SDL) (1987 300D) originally equipped aluminum heads did suffer cracked heads cheifly as a result from trap oxidizers and subjection to an overheat situation generally brought on by poor maintenance. Later the trap oxidizers were removed by MB and new and improved aluminum heads were offered that would eliminate head crack issues. However, most original heads installed in these cars have never suffered the cracks and likely never will unless overheated due again to poor maitenance such as old radiator hoses, bad thermostats, poor flowing radiator due generally to age.

You should check the many threads here in the search section on both these engine types and weigh your opinion. Both are very good, probably the best automobile diesel engines ever built. BB