View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Joe
Yes, I do seem to remember a few lively discussions about oil.

The "change it hot and change it often" gang took offense with my practices and analysis, and tried to take me out back and beat the snot out of me.

However, after a bit of reasoning, I was able to convert them all to 10kmile change intervals.

Joe
That change it hot and change it often is an old principle that worked with much lesser oils of several years ago. Right now we are using our technological prowess to reduce environmental pollution by massively reducing the number of millions of gallons of used oil dumped in the environment. Amsoil pioneered the entire thing and continues to lead it today.

Even with dino oil, the scientific results are there to prove that 3,000 mile oil changes in gasoline powered cars is a waste as the oil is often good for more than twice as long as that. Even GM currently has a system in its cars that monitors driving styles and thus determines when to indicate that an oil change is due. I have a friend who owns a 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo and at 8,000 miles, she was getting scared of damaging her engine because the "change oil" light hadn't come on. I told her to relax and wait for it and eventually the light came on at 9,100 miles. I collected a sample of that oil before I changed it and the results shows that the oil was just close to needing a change - so the GM monitor was very accurate! Over the past years, mechanics, oil companies and auto makers have been preaching about 3,000 mile oil changes so much that people these days still religiously change their oil that frequently, even though there isn't a single new car manufacturer that recommends 3,000 mile oil changes. All manufacturers recommend longer intervals these days.

Even at 10& soot concentration, Amsoil's 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel oil contains enough zinc and other substances to keep the soot particles apart and to make sure that they don't stick together to form large particles. As a result, you can use the Amsoil in your diesel up to such a high concentration of soot. In fact, my oil analysis results have shown that Amsoil is of such superior quality that after 26,000 miles in my gas Toyota Avalon, the TBN was still pretty much like that of new oil. In fact, the company that performed the analysis advised me to continue to use the oil!!

There will always be those like you and me who believe in the new data indicating the way we should change our oils. Then there will also always be the old timers, the hard headed folks who simply refuse to change their ways and acknowledge that today's oils can last much longer than 3,000 miles even under very harsh driving conditions. All this even after you've presented scientific proof to them. I've never been about trying to change people, so we just have to live together with our different opinions and principles.