View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanville
You wouldnt accept that the dealers rule book ?

Most Auto manufacturers warrenties wont kick in when a car uses 1 quart or less per 1,000 miles. Their rule books say that is acceptable.

How do you not accept it ? With a lawyer ? A hand Gun ?
Hell no that is NOT an acceptable oil consumption rate. That would mean that for any road trip (with a '99 !!!), you would have to carry around extra quarts of oil?? And that oil is carboning up your compustion chambers, exhaust valves, and cat. Bad juju. That just means that they don't want to invest the shop labor into fixing it, its your problem, not theirs.

Yeah, the EGR was probably the culprit. Surprised that wasn't caught earlier. If it isn't working right, then the crankcase will pressurize, and cause blow by the oil rings on the pistons, as well as thorugh the valve guides.

Other than loosening up a sticking hydraulic lash adjuster or freeing up rotor seals on a rotary engine in an RX-7 (Boy was that an IMPRESSIVE bit of smoke after I restarted it!!) , I've never really seen MMO. make any significant change to a motor's performance, or lack thereof, and I've heard of other oils used to do the same thing, such as ATF.

When it comes to dealer (non)service, I never trust them, not a word, until I verify it myself. More times than not I have caught them in outright lies, and even pointed out service bulletins to them that made my case. Always do your own research. I once got a GM service manager fired in Tennessee after I spent $450 on repairs that still didn't fix the problem. I researched, found the service bulletin, and called GM's regional office on it.

I'm very glad that god made me a mechanical engineer, and gave me the skills to turn wrenches. Good engineers are born, not made...its all genetics