View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:01 AM

It only has 121k. Here is some more background: I took it in becuase the belt was making a lot of noise, and also it would occasionally make a pretty noticeble "clatter." The clatter was not constant, but rather intermittent. Last year I replaced the timing chain tensioner, so I thought that this clatter might be the timing chain itself or one of the timing chain guides as it seemed like the noise was up in the front of the engine.

First the belt and belt tensioner were replaced. That quited it down enough to find that the #1 and #2 lifters were not functioning. I had them (and the others) all replaced. I thought I was getting off easy, but when I went to pick it up, I was told the news about the injection pump. I just don't know enough about the injection pump to understand the implications of it going out.

It is so much quiter and seems to be running great now (to me anyway). I've already spent about $1k and my gut tells me to find out more before spending another $2k. I really love this car and my only real concern is doing more damage by neglecting a potential problem with the injection pump. I don't want to end up spending $7K on a new engine!

If the injection pump is bad or goes out could it lead to a catastrophic engine failure?

It definitely sounds like I should change the filter first. Thanks for the advice.

Mike