View Single Post
Old 02-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braverichard
The official pricing for Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel oil is $5.45 a quart. I get mine though for $4 per quart. So not only is the Amsoil I buy superior to the Mobil oil, it is also cheaper.

There's no question on whether synthetics provide better protection from heat and wear and provide better lubrication than pretroleum oils. I think the reason why these oil threads always go on forever is that many engines have been shown to last for hundreds of thousands of miles while using just about any type of oil you can name. So in the end, they all work fine. Everyone just has to decide what they want to use and why they want to do so.
Well, officially, we get Mobil 1 for 4.39 a quart so for most people the difference is about $1 - $1.25 a quart. That makes me ask if it is 25% better since it is about 25% more expensive.

Many of those engine have also had their oil changed every 3000. Now, if you wanted to run regular oil and install a turbo timer or make sure you idle the engine for 10 mins before shutdown to prevent coking of the oil in the turbo, I suppose that would be ok too. However, oil cost is only one factor. The other is the other cost if you had someone do it. If you DIY then you need to calculate the cost of that too. I have to figure out the cost of the oil, my time to buy it, work on the car, dispose of the oil. Otherwise the price is artificially low. Do I have better things to dp besides an oil change and all the nice stuff that goes with it? You bet.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow