View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Razorback Soccer Dad

To answer your question, yes.

The wood door trim is held in place my (four or five 7mm?) hex nuts and serrated washers. These are on the inside of the panel, so you do have to remove the panel to get to them.

I have had to do some servicing at the doors for other issues in the past, so I went ahead and tightened all of them while I had the panels removed. Mine did rattle prior to doing this.

There are more detailed threads on how to do this, but here's a quick idea:

Remove the black plastic door handle pieces first. Actually, the electric seat switch knobs, then the door handle bezels. All of them should come out with a gentle tug, but the two-piece bezels are joined together at a point. Either way, still use gentle force. The piece behind the handle sits on a lip around the door panel, and you can just move it out of the way. Total removal is easier in the long run, but you may not have to do that.

The little panel piece by the outside mirror has to come off too. With MBs, the rule of thumb is pull UP, then OUT! MB uses upside-down "J" configuration hooks, so pulling out (like in GM cars) will do permanent damage.

Don't forget to remove the plastic cover by the door latch at the jamb.

There are wire attachments for the courtesy light, but you don't have to remove the wires or light since you are just tightening the wood trim. The plastic water sheeting might come off with the panel as well, so make sure you glue this back on...rubber cement or 3M spray adhesive works fine.

The other panels in the car come off in pretty much the same manner...good luck!
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car