View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
TEAM MULHOLLAND

Let me start by thanking all of you guys for sharing such great information!
And secondly I hope I can describe what im experiencing without confusing anybody... i will try to word this as clearly as possible while not leaving out any details.

The vibration seems to be related more to the load on the drivetrain, it is prominent upon medium to heavy acceleration at ANY speed under 75MPH. Once I have stopped accelerating from a stoplight (or in any similar scenario) the vibration goes away... while cruising at a somewhat constant speed, or accelerating very lightly (within a 5-10mph difference of the speed im traveling with light throttle pressure) there is NO vibration. So basically the vibration im feeling is only showing itself when I am accelerating from a stop with the pedal to the metal, or when I am traveling on a highway and want to pass someone and floor it. NOW once im pushing 75MPH, the vibration becomes a constant regardless of how im driving, although it is stronger when I am applying pressure to the gas pedal... (needless to say making highway driving rather unpleasant!)

As for how the vibration feels & sounds-
I can feel the vibration in my seat, the floor, and very precisely in the gas pedal. The steering wheel not so much. I had a friend drive the car while I rode in it, and as a passenger the vibrations could be felt in the floor and seats, esp. when sitting in the back seat with my feet under the front seat.
When accelerating the vibration is very "stuttery" feeling, i guess you coould compare it to a drum machine... precisely spaced vibrations that are spaced very closely together, and increase in intensity with throttle pressure. Once the car is running at 75MPH and above, the vibrations is the same as described above when pressure is applied to the throttle (passing, speeding up etc.) and once I am traveling a constant speed it reduces in intensity, and comes spaced out in "throbs" .... and if I decelerate from any speed above 75MPH by letting off of the gas pedal, the vibration becomes a constant (similar to the vibrations when under heavy acceleration) although not as strong.

Now, to make this seem even more complex, I will also add that the vibrations are much more prominent after traveling extended distances. For ex:
I frequently drive from Davis to SF, and SF to Davis. its about 62 miles each way on I-80. If im leaving Davis for SF, the drive to SF will be much smoother- the vibrations are thhere, but not quite as strong. However, at the end of the day, the drive from SF to Davis is much more "vibrational"

Weird weird weird.....

Believe me, if that description was confusing, you can only begin to imagine as to whats running through my mind in regards to trying to figure out what the heck is causing this! LOL

Thanks again, I hope that helps, and I look forward to more info!
Feel free to ask if you need clearer descriptions of the vibration personality!

Happy Motoring!

1995 E420
1992 BMW 525i
1984 300D Turbo sold
1993 Volvo 244 sold
1995 Volvo 944T R.I.P!

"The details are not details. They make the product."
-Charles Eames

www.cbs.nu

Last edited by Veloce300DT; 02-07-2005 at 09:46 PM.