View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 02:20 PM

1983 300SD 126 transmission (722.303) problem/question/advice?

Anyone with suggestions to help my 126 transmission come back to life? The previous owner accidently fractured a cooling line and pumped the fluid dry. The line was repaired and tranny refilled, but will not shift up past 2nd gear. I was informed of this before I made the deal.

So far I have completed, checked and confirmed the following:
Added a bottle of Lucas Transmission repair fluid. No obvious difference.
Replaced both “3/2 vacuum switches” in the black box on the valve cover (the plastic flappers were broken and plunger pins worn)
Checked the “Kick down” switch (this also includes the Bowden cable). Everything appears OK.
Checked the vacuum, at the modulator valve, it is in the 10 to 20 lb range.
Removed the modulator valve. It checked out OK, cleaned and re-installed.
On removal of the modulator valve, we collected the tranny fluid that drained, it was dark and smelled “burned”.

Unless someone has a miracle cure, it looks like a tranny re-build, and there is a local shop handy that only works on transmissions that will do the job for me. If it comes to this (I expect it will and it takes ten days for parts to get here), so as to do this project as expeditiously as possible, does the “AT overhaul kit” have all the parts and pieces needed to do the re-build? We presume the bands (friction discs??) are burned. What other parts may be required so I can have them on hand?

Any one else been through a similar problem?
Thanks Dick W.