View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 05:40 PM
W109, Floating on air!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce300DT
autozen-

yer right, the wagons are in much much more demand. However at the time my car was listed for sale it had 145K miles. The ad read as follows:
So. Cal 1 owner car, All records, garaged, very clean, 145K miles... (then mentioned features etc.). there was also a pic attached, so people searching for a wagon could clearly tell it wasnt a wagon. I guess I like to think im lucky with my find. I dont need to think, I was! With a stack 2 inches thick of records, original sales documents, and a flawless body and interior who could disagree!

Billrei-

In defense of the W123- I will say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. True, there are lots of w123's, mostly in 20+ year old daily driver condition. However, a well cared for example thats nearly flawless is a rare bird. Im willing to guess that a near flawless w123 is rarer than most popular classic MB's that have been kept in flawless shape or have been completely restored. I know I get comments alot on my car, and there seems to be a strong comraderie between other W123 drivers in my area... lots of smiles waves and comments. I like the fact that I can go to some posh place and stand out in a sea of 60's and 70's SLs, SEL's, etc etc and not worry about my gas needle hitting empty! And when people comment on my car, I know its usually because they know how great they are! (since many people consider ol diesels to be smelly, noisy, and ugly!)

Its a matter of personal opinion, and the gasser classics are amazing. I just think the w123 is deserving of more praise. It may be equipped like a Taurus... but it evokes an entirely different sense of design, build quality, and understated elegance. Not to mention ECONOMY!

Happy Motoring!
Nate,

Very good points about W123's. However Mercedes seemed to be rushing into the plastics age in the 1980's with cracked dashes and shrived shelf liner door surrounds to show for it. Yes I know my 109 has a vinyl dash but it has not cracked....yet. I won't even get into the front suspension that looks like it was designed by Fiat. A torsion bar as a stressed member? Give me a break.