View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 08:56 PM

I'll chime in as a recent user of a 70 - 90% WVO/RUG blend. I was unable to find a free source for WVO so I started buying it at $.50 a gallon. Then I built a small filtration system. Now I really need to buy a larger container so I can pick up more than the 3 five gallon cans I have at a time. It takes me a few hours to filter out 10 gallons of WVO when its cold using heat and a hand pump. Then I have to bend over and mix 4 gallons to 1 gallon of gas in a five gallon jug and slowly pour it into the fuel tank so I don't leave an oily mess in the driveway and on the car. I burn a tank every 3 days so I have to invest five or six hours every three days for fuel at $.92 cents a gallon once its blended. I feel great doing it from an environmental and political perspective but its alot of work. Once it warms up and I have some more money to invest improving my system, it should be easier but I just can't drop $75 on a 35 gallon poly tank right now. I did build a coolant/fuel heat exchanger and a 12volt fuel heater and they should prevent any of the wax/coking problems. I am also considering setting up a company to collect grease commercially from just one or two restaurants. Of course I'll have to invest in $300 commercial grease dumpsters for that but it will make the oil cheaper in the long run. My local biodiesel coop will be making WVO available commercially in the coming year I think but I'll probably have to drive 45 minutes for it.
1993 VW Cabriolet converted to 1.6 TD
1985 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD