View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 01:11 AM

Aklim,
don't be waiting by the mailbox for funds from me. Is my time free? No. But I sure don't have a lot of extra money laying around either. Saving $2250/year would make a pretty big difference in my life. The secret to making WVO work for you is to streamline the collection/filtering process. I am planning a hitch mounted collection unit. I have to drive by two of my sources every day so stopping is no big deal. The filtering units I am working on will gravity filter 10-20gallons a day with no input from me. I have purchased electric transfer pumps to move the WVO and I am planning on a "fueling nozzle" like one at a fuel station mounted by my garage door for easy fillups. The key is to take the process and make it as automatic as possible. If I have to fill the tank with gas cans, carry waste oil to and fro in containers it won't be worth it to me. Here is my process: Hitch mounted 30gallon barrel with electric pump allows me to pull up to provided barrel and suck up WVO. Return to house, reverse pump to transfer oil through piping leading to filter barrel. Second pump feeds oil to storage unit in batches through final polishing filter. WVO now ready to use. Storage barrel is mounted high and will gravity feed to filler nozzle for vehicle tanks. No physical WVO handling required. The only minor effort is mounting/dismounting collection unit, which is like putting in a drawbar on the back of the truck so its something I do several times a week anyway. I am quite confident I can reduce the whole process to 1-2hrs a week total. Cutting my fuel bill from $60/week to $6/week is worth it. Leaves a little extra cash for the other expensive hobbies I have. RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K