View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonBall
Can more than one valve be adjusted in a specific engine position. Like if besides the lift there is a constant radius it should be the same if I set a valve with the cam lobe 180* and not right at 180*. I've read people saying they've done both and never read if it was wrong to do a couple valves at once. Also, what's a good way to make sure it's right, I've been just using the feeler gages the way I was taught, that they shouldn't slide through too easilly but also not too hard, a little drag is good, but is there a foolproof way, like if I dont' trust myself, or is the med amount of drag put it within tolerances?
If the base circle of the cam is at a constant radius, you should be able to set more than one valve in a given position.

However, somebody has recently looked at this and it may be possible that the base circle is not constant. They got a different result when the cam lobe was directly opposite the rocker arm versus when the cam lobe was slightly off 180 degrees from the rocker arm. This would lead to the conclusion that the base circle is not constant.

The manual calls for setting the valve with the cam lobe 180 degrees from the rocker arm. But, this may be just the typical German way of looking at things, or it may be required.

I think the determination is open right about now. Maybe you could set a valve with the lobe exactly 180 degrees away from the rocker arm and then roll the engine 90 degrees (cam moves 45 degrees) and see if the result holds.

The way you were taught is the correct way. There is no foolproof way. Remember that you probably cannot be off by .001" no matter what procedure you use (probably closer to .0005" with some consistency). This is more than acceptable. People drive these engines with valves that are .004" tight, so, you should not be too concerned with an error of .0005".