View Single Post
Old 02-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonBall
Is it so wrong to ask what tolerances feeler gages are machined to? If I got a .10 gage and it was +/- .001 and I used one that was .002 off then I'm out of specs, yeah like you said not much, but being new at this I need my equipment to be as precise as possible to make up for my human error. I'm sorry I'll delete my other post, but I said I hadn't done it before, I've used feeler gages in the past but it's been years. I didn't say "oh I held up the gage to the sun and it looks like it's off by .002mm, better use another one." And how does assuming I don't know what I'm doing warrant "use the search" comment, obviously you know a lot about using feeler gages, is it too much hastle to fill me in, and perhaps others who search and find this post?
I believe that I mentioned, above, that your questions are perfectly legit, and it was unlikely that you could find any answer to such a question using the search.

However, sometimes a fellow will ask, "How do I set the valves on a 617 engine"?

In this case, most of us will direct him to "use the search" because there are quite a few lengthy posts concerning this procedure and it wouldn't be in the best interests of the person needing the information to restate a foreshortened version.

Sometimes, one of us may state, "use the search" when, in reality, the search would not provide the desired answer. It happens. But, as I previously mentioned, don't take it too seriously. There is a lot of information in the archives. You may benefit by perusing it, even if your specific answer is not found.

And, if you do use the search, and cannot find something, just post again and someone will help you.