View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 08:48 PM

Aftermarket Cruise Control for MB

I did this a while ago but I am just getting around to posting about it. I installed a Rostra Globalcruise unit in my 300D. I got it from a local car audio/accessories place. The instructions are written with a pro installer in mind so they assume you have a clue. It was fairly simple to install with just one unit under the hood. I tied into the factory CC power supply and attached to the brake switch by soldering into the factory connectors. The control stalk looks decidedly non-MB but since it is mounted low under the column you don't really see it. The stalk is a bit of a pain to install and required removing the entire turn signal stalk to drill the hole and tighten everything up. Careful when you adjust the CC stalk to the correct angle, the wires are thin and will bind/break if you don't make sure they have enough slack. I also removed the factory CC switch and give it away. Also underhood the factory CC actuator, mount and linkage have all disappeared. The speed sensor is a simple magnet/coil affair mounted on the driveshaft right behind the tranny. It is actually a lot easier to install than you would expect. Sorry, no pic. Didn't feel like jacking up the car! Hooking up the cable to the MB linkage is a bit difficult. I ground off one of the "ball" fittings and punched out the remains so I could use the hole for a mounting screw to attach the cable. A small custom bracket bolts to the valve cover to retain the sleeve. The unit/brain itself is simply bolted to the inner fender. I routed the wires though the firewall at the rubber bulkhead grommets and covered the wiring with black plastic wire loom. How does it work? Great! The only negative is a slight hiccup when transitioning from an upgrade to a downgrade. It keeps accelerating then backs way off on the downhill then too much throttle. The result is a small surge, usually just one and only on mild transitions. There is a "gain" adjustment that may smooth this out but I haven't messed with it yet. The best part is the price. I paid @$250.00 w/tax. Install was about 2.5-3hrs working with beer in hand. IMHO, a viable replacement/alternative to repairing the MB system. RT
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket Cruise Control for MB-mb-002.jpg   Aftermarket Cruise Control for MB-mb-003.jpg   Aftermarket Cruise Control for MB-mb-004.jpg  
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K