Thread: Turbo
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat
I remember when I first bought my car I sped my rpm up to about 1200 and put a pair of vicegrips to lock it at that rpm to check something and within about a minute the engine started running away I guess after the turbo started building boost, now I have no boost untill about 2000 rpm is this do to the ALDA or do I need to dial the wastegate in a little more.

The Bosch injection pump used in the OM617.952 is ungoverned above 1000 rpm; that's why your engine 'ran away'. Theoretically, the engine would continue to increase in rpm until it reached the max rpm limit set in the IP.

However, if it truly did take a full minute for the turbo to spool and the engine to begin to rev as you've indicated, then you may well have problems with the turbo itsself. On both of my turbo 617s, if you advance the throttle to rev the engine slightly above 1000 rpm, the engine will immediately begin to rev up like it is out of control. Slow build of boost sounds like a draggy turbo.

With the engine shut down, you should pull the 'u' pipe off of the turbo intake and spin the compressor side of the turbo with your fingers. The compressor should spin realtively freely and continue to turn for a couple of revolutions. There should be ZERO radial play in the compressor and little to no axial play either. If the compressor shows excessive play or will not spin relatively freely you have turbo issues.