View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Running on Homebrew

Thumbs up Additives for Biodiesel

There are a few decent additives out there, specifically designed for biodiesel however this just moves your dependance from one master to another, as in you are no longer dependant on big oil but you are dependant on the additive supplier, even if just for the colder winter months.
Ok, the work aorund ? How to be near 100% biodiesel 12 months/year and never have to worry about geling without using any additives, even in -25C weather?
The answer is so simple it slaps you in the face; set up a SVO two tank system and run BD in it. I am in the process of doing just this thing. The lines are now strung from the tank to ther passenger cabin and tomorow they go into the engine compartment, and next weekend it is time for the full on conversion with the installation of the 6 port selenoid while my b-in-law makes me a custom tank that will effectively double my volume capacity and hense distance between fill ups.
In the cold I start and stop on dino, but in between I run on hot BD. In the summer I have two tanks of BD to run on. In a very bad pinch I can always double and tripple filter (to 2 microns) some WVO and use it or blend with BD in the cold if I see my stock is running out.
The best of both worlds. My personal preference is Biodiesel, and I make my own and run B100 in the Benz whenever I can, but this gives me an option that I heretofore didn't have.
I figure that I will only be filling at the pump once or maybe twice a year with this set up.

Last edited by Legal Eagle; 03-04-2005 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Spelling errors