View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Dönerkebap

Angry Inaccurate transmission dipstick!

I have a feeling that I will be doing the K1 upgrade very soon. I want my transmission to last as long as I can make it last. It's exhibiting the standard MB shift qualities, good 1-2, mushy 2-3, good 3-4.

One thing of note- I CANNOT GET AN ACCURATE TRANS FLUID LEVEL READING OFF THAT STUPID (*&)*&% DIPSTICK!

What I do is this: I start it, drive up Wisconsin Avenue a couple of miles. Usually this gets the engine temp up to 80C. I then stop at the same fuel station I always stop at and take a reading.
I have been doing this all weekend long, siphoning off around 40-60ml at a time. The fluid is not brown nor does it smell burned. It is not exactly transparent red however. It is maroon, non-transparent, and has some tiny bubbles in it, but it's not what I would call 'foamy'. I would say that I have siphoned around 200ml so far. Every time I stop at that gas station after leaving my place, I check the level and it seems that it hasn't moved, about 5mm under the 'add 1 qt' level. I usually go with the notion that it hasn't warmed up enough to expand fully. Then I drive it for about 30 minutes more and it gives me a reading that's an inch and a half above the full mark! Why is it doing this to me????
The transmisson shifts nicely, just that very subtle mushiness from 2-3.

I serviced the tranny less tan 10k ago w/ 'MaxLife' fluid and filter. Does anybody know how to get an accurate reading from the stupid dipstick? This is just ridiculous. There needs to be a better way of judging the fluid level than this. I am not going to do any more until I can get a concrete reading from the damn thing.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S 6k
'06 Ducati S2R800 14k(sold)