View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Biodiesel Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidauex
Elemental silicon can take on the same crystalline structures as Carbon (since they are in the same family). That means graphite-like structures up through diamond-like structures. Typically in semiconductor form the Si has been doped with boron or other materials to enhance its conductivity, and break up the crystalline structure.

Since diamond is technically a type of ceramic material, a cubic crystalline Si structure would also be a ceramic.

In crystalline structures like this the bonding isn't ionic, its covalent, and that can include as many atoms as necessary.

Now, I'm not saying thats the material that webpage is talking about, just musing about ceramics and crystalline patterns and whatnot.

peace,
Sam

PS Kyocera has some very nice ceramic knives. They are bright white, incredibly sharp, hold their edge forever, and are light as feathers. I've tried a few out and was amazed. However... One drop, and they shatter like glass..
Thanks, that's interesting. I'll bet crystalline silicon is a real biatch to machine, and I'm sure it's just as brittle as alumina or zirconia. I've got a set of scissors with alumina ceramic edges, they sure cut nicely.
'89 Toyota 4x4, needs 2L-T
'78 280Z with L28ET - 12.86@110
Oil Burner Kartel #35

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oD/bioclip.jpg