View Single Post
Old 03-07-2005, 10:32 PM
PEEKABOO I SEE YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton
On the top of the tensioner is a hole in the plastic piece. Stick a big screwdriver in there and rotate the tensioner so that you compress the spring. The belt will slip right off. Release the spring carefully.

When you go back on with a new belt, do the same thing. Rotate the plastic piece, compress the spring, and pop the belt over the idler.

Now is a good time to make sure the idler is in good shape. It should roll smoothly without any rattle. If you can feel any roughness in the bearing, replace it. It tends to let go and do all kinds of damage.

BTW, take a good look at the belt routing and make a diagram of it, if you don't already have one. It's easy to make an error. Don't ask me how I know.
I used a 2ft 3/8" ext in the hole on mine couldn’t move it; I thought I was going to break the plastic piece.
I don't have too loosen the bolt that goes thru the spring eye?

Also on the piece with the hole in it, mine had a pin in it down below the hole and a bracket that came across the face of it from the bolt that was holding the shock. It appears that I have to take the bolt out of the shock holder to remove this bracket? And then release the tension? Rotate up & down correct.

I need to replace my idler pulley; it is making a chirping noise