View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 01:53 AM

smoke problems on a 79 300d

hello to all been reading all your post and must admit you guys are the best source of info around but here is my delema:
purchased a 79 300 d that had a blown head gasget
upun removing the head found it to be craked behound repair so found a blacksimth(yes found a guy that can weld cast iron) he sold me a head that was fixed and put it on on the 1st atempt would not run because he had screwed up the seat angle of the vavles to the hed after an $80 machining jog finaly got the compresion at 350 per cylinder +- 40 psi car started up and seemed ok but here is where the fun beguins after sitting for a week seemed like it ran on only 3 cylinder had to keep it flooored for it to hold idle thinking the injectors were at fault took them to an private benz repair shop to have them tested wich of course were all bad as even one of them only built up 8 psi before opening acording to him it should be around 174
anyhow got them fixed and back on the car but it still smokes at all times wether i am idleling or acelerating i can hear some of you guys wodering if i have the cam timing correct and yes i line it up with tdc on #1 and the mark on the 1st bearing block of the cam and the woodruf keyed washer wich also has a mark for this purpose the car has lots of miles but the engine isn't the original one since it was built in 84still when cold won't start with out stepping on the gas about half way and isn't very smooth also the trans seems to not want to get out of the 1st gear(automatic) i am thinking the injection pump timing might be off losend the 3 bolts by the block but coul'd find the 4th one mentioned in the other posts anyhow hope i didn't overwhelmed you with too much of my problems but if toy could give me pointed it would be greatly apreaciated thanks guys