View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Oelmotor 606 mit Abgasauflader

I have owned one ('99er Turbo E300) now for a month, and paid a fortune to have it all brought back up to snuff after its previous owner negelected it, sort of. The engine makes a wonderful sound which reminds me of my old 1964 Jag 3.8S and it accelerates as well or better than my '99 230 SLK. It also does not seem to use fuel, (about 30 mpg going around 80-85 mph over a distance of 190 or so miles....) really. It is not as remarkable as a CDI (I have driven these in Germany...) but it is a fast, comfortable car. It has too much cheapo plastic, of course, and the bloody dash board has cracked. I miss the smoke and noise of the 240D. The catalytic converter on the 99er has no poetry to it, really; but now the California Clean air board will not send me hate mail all the time, which was the case with the 1979 car. I guess in the back of my mind, I await the springs to fall off, and soon I shall have the Gluehkerzen replaced, but the man who will do it (who has much experience...) claims that he has never broken one off in the head. If that happens, I shall report it here and likely sell the thing off.