Thread: Tools
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 09:22 AM
LarryBible

Strife,

Assuming that when you say link extractor you are referring to the timing chain link, there are no special tools needed. Simply grind off the heads of the two pins and pull off the plate, then push out the link.

To reinstall, put the pin portion of the new master link in from the rear. Feel the wear plate with your finger. One side of the plate will have sharp edges from the die cutting and the other side will be smooth. Put the smooth side toward the front of the car. Back up the rear of the master link with a body dolly or ball peen hammer. Then peen the links down flat with a ball peen hammer.

I have done this several times with great success. The only circumstance where you don't want to do this, is if you will be entering the car in a car show with the valve cover off and this link exposed, because it is not as pretty as if it were done with the fancy tool.

Except for the pin extractor, I have managed quite well with none of the tools on your list. I could get by without the pin extractor by using a bolt and a big nut, but I got the pin extractor before I realized this.

Good luck,