View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 PM

'81 300SD rod bearings

Greetings from the rainless greater northwest.

I have posted before about the knock in this car. If I opened the feed to no.1 injector the knock went away. After trying the "purge" route with no improvement, I dropped the lower oil pan and removed the bearing from no.1 piston. The bearing was worn and I thought that the bearing was worn and looked wierd around the center oil groove. Then I looked at the pictures of new bearings on Fast Lane and and and they dont have an oil groove !!!!!! Are some sets with and some sets without this groove? Also I didn't note which way the rod cap was oriented on the rod, but when I match the wear markings on the two halves the indexing tabs are on the same side. I always thought they should be on opposite sides. Could it be that the person who put this together put the cap on wrong. According to the papers in the trunk it was overhauled about 50,000 mi. ago. So I only intend to replace the one bearing set. Any suggestions or words of advice out there? Also the hard rubber pick up with the screen was broken but the screen was still on the pump so nothing got into the pump. Thanks for listening to this long winded tant. Lee
'81 300SD 313,000 mi. (given to granddaughter)
Maintained by Me and my offspring.
ESCHEW OBFUSCATION