View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 PM

Thanks. I get that but still feel like I must be missing something. What you all are saying is, for a heavy load, it's nice to have but some sort of engineering overkill? What does this thing really do? There must by more to it. Why would the Cosworth W201 or 500E have it? I really feel like I'm missing something... What about day to day? How fast does it react to changing loads and is it a kind of active suspension? Say I was driving the wagon without a load at 125 mph and was turning, would the SLS compensate in real time according to the load for each side? Is it slower than that? Does it always do both sides equally? On another note, is the real purpose of this thing to sacrifice itself for more expensive rear suspension parts of vehicles that are expected to receive heavy hauling or racing service? Correct me if I’m wrong, but to refresh the system (which will be needed once about every 100,000 miles), is relatively cheap, about $200 for parts (accumulators), $50 for fluid, and a couple of hours of labor. If it prolongs the life of other, expensive rear suspension bits, would it not save cost over time? When I drive the wagon, I feel like SLS has some intangible value that I can’t quite put my finger on. Day to day, what does it really do for me?

1988 300 SL (5 Speed)
1994 E320 Wagon
1997 C230