View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 AM

Probably

If I remember the wiring diagaram, only the passenger side controls the washer fluid flow for both of the headlight washers. I have never dissected the driver side but I would almost bet it works on the same setup. The motor stalling but able to restart after cooling off (allowing the PTC to shrink back to its original position) are the classic setups.

Regarding your question. The reality is that the motor assembly begins to wear, friction increases and puts more demand for electrical power. Substituting a larger PTC allows more current (ie power) to the motor to push should it need it. The original PTC is probably still capable of meeting its design loading, I really don't know if its the PTC that craps or something elese.

Its a bit of a risk but you may want to remove the PTC from the driver side washer and maybe mount a larger one (slightly more amp capacity to it) in hopes of getting the system to work externally to the system. Unless you place a new on within the motor housing, you will have to install (2) new ones externally to the power wires of the wiper motor. (2) because one wire activates from the stalk switch and the other is the dedicated power that constantly flows to the wiper motors. A fair warning though, increasing the PTC value increases the current flowing through the system which may effect some of the upstream components (ie, convience relay I believe). Watch for that.

Ron

Last edited by tower; 03-28-2005 at 06:46 AM.