View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peragro
It makes me nervous though since it seems to run hotter this year than it did last on the same grades, and we havn't even gotten to the hot part of the year yet here. it also heats up quicker (to the 100C mark) on very shallow grades. Granted I wouldn't have called them that shallow when I lived back east before I moved here. I guess I'm pretty paranoid about heat and this engine, but if the consensus is that 100C is no big deal I'll go with that.
I'll tell you one thing that I guarantee will lower your temperatures by 5 degrees or so, provided it has not been done in the last five years:

The radiator on these vehicles has some very fine air passages and they get clogged with dust and fine debris. Most folks just brush off the debris from the front of the fins and call it a day.

You need to remove the radiator from the vehicle and hold it up to the sun. Take a look at all the crap that blocks the airflow. Now, you have the task to remove all the crap. It's a slow two hour process with compressed air, cleaning agents, and water. I'm still looking for a proper industrial condenser cleaner when I do it for the next time.