View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Leo
Jeeze, just dump the filtered WVO into the tank and drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgeo
From what I have read history seems to show this engine LOVES veg. fuel even as a one tanker with little to no conversion. Your right it will probably sustain damage as a one tanker. butttttt.... it seems that the damage shortens the life of the engine by a small amount; least compared to other engines.
WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!
Vegetable oil NEEDS to be well-heated (~160* is the number that usually gets thrown around) before it goes into your engine.
Sure, it will run for a while until the valves gum up.
I know a guy who was running SVO in his '99 Diesel Mercedes which was unmodified. Ran fine for 8 months, then began smoking on the highway. Shortly after that it would smoke like a sonofagun starting. Then no start. He had to tear it down and found the heads completely coked and the reason it wasn't starting was in two cylinders the exhaust valves were gummed up so much that they weren't closing ergo no compression.
I had always wondered what the deal was with coking the rings and gumming the valves and always wondered if it wasn't being blown out of proportion somewhat but this guy's actual experience now gives me a sort of baseline.
Mike, check out Neoteric (www.biofuels.ca). At this point I've done a few conversions myself and helped a friend of mine with his Cummins & I've dealt with Craig of Neoteric quite a bit; they've got top-notch stuff and excellent support.
Good luck!
PlantDrive Single tank WVO conversion
6000 veggie miles and counting!
-----------
1985 Ford F250 - 132K
PlantDrive Two-tank WVO conversion
15,000 veggie miles and counting...

Driving for FREE!