View Single Post
Old 04-10-2005, 12:24 PM

you know, when all is said and done these are all great experiements we're running and coming back to the table with different experience and really with fuel now at 2.68/gal here in n.california even if the engine needs a top-end rebuild after a year we're probably still ahead in terms of dollars spent. this thing shouldn't turn into a pissing match but it is good to get discussion back & forth. it's also good to get solid facts together IMHO because a lot of this stuff IS so experimental.
having said that, i belong to the same school as jimmy and err on the side of caution with my *very* nice 300D that i've taken time and energy to purchase & get running well and would like to keep that way. I follow the prevailing wisdom on the principles of heating vegetable oil and filtering it well before introducing iti to my engine. if you look at all the conversion kit people they are all selling components based on these two principles.
perhaps the 99 mercedes is in many ways a different animal from the 617 however i personally regard his experience as pretty conclusive evidence of what can happen with unheated oil. i do concede that people can get over-zealous on this issue but i also think it best to err on the side of caution if you are at all concerned about keeping your engine running in top condition. i myself am running a single-tank system based on conversations with Craig of Neoteric. They have converted many many 240s and 300s. in this san francisco bay area climate a single-tank system works just great. if you are in colder climates you need a two-tank system.
i did just get my veg-ject injectors from colorado biodiesel this week and will post my results once they're in and running; however Neoteric's conversions are all done based on stock injectors but i have turned them on to tom's site.
i would be most interested to hear of anyone's long-term experience with running veg oil in an unmodified 617 and would be willing to reassess my position based on those results.
PlantDrive Single tank WVO conversion
6000 veggie miles and counting!
-----------
1985 Ford F250 - 132K
PlantDrive Two-tank WVO conversion
15,000 veggie miles and counting...

Driving for FREE!