View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe
I cold filter my oil, takes a long time, but for a guy who uses 5 gallons a week or less, small potatos. If you cold filter, the oil will never solidify, anywhere in the system, provided to don't drive to colder climes.
I have seen problems with clogged filters without driving to colder climates. It is not at all unusual to see a 30 degree difference day and night in many places in this country and even more. One day to the next the temperature can change, that is planet earth for you.

I agree that cold filtering is the way to go but oil quality varies so much that depending on the oil you get and the temperature change you can be stuck on the side of the road changing filters on a cool night and then clog the next set thirty miles up the road. There are too many variables to say that this could never happen. Even if you cold filter and get clean oil as far as particulates are concerned and get some of the fats that congeal with temperature the remaining fats can congeal due to temperature and clog filters.

Once again, the worst oils for this would be hydrogenated or high tallow oil like that used to cook meat.

I have thought of refrigerating the oil before filtering it but after discussing it with fellow oil burners decided not to. I actually have a cube of oil in an old spare refrigerator that I was going to experiment with and never did it. Once again because I don't have to. If it came to this I would install a fuel heater on my car; haven't yet cause I haven't had to.

If you mess with veg oil enough you will see some weird problems. If you have have trouble solving normal car problems, veg oil may put you over the top and may not be for you. These problems look much easier when you are home at the keyboard than stuck on the side of the road somewhere. There will be times when you won't have anyone but yourself to solve these problems like when you are on the side of the road with veg car that won't start.

Fuel heaters are simple. If you need one you can probably build it yourself without spending a bunch of money or a bunch of time. You can build a coolant exchange heater out of pipe fittings or an electric heater out of pipe fittings and a glow plug and a temperature switch. These ideas are discussed on the Internet. I am ready to build one when I need to but I haven't needed it yet. I live in a favorable climate and have a supply of good oil.

If this post is getting a rise out of you, take a deep breath and read my sig line. Repeat as necessary. This is not a personal attack, only an attempt to make life a little easier for someone who may tread this way. This post took way too damn long to write and I don't have the time or the energy to try to make it non-offensive to people who can't control their emotions, so just get a grip on yourself.

Last edited by TwitchKitty; 04-15-2005 at 09:08 AM.