View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 10:26 PM

On the window, especially the 201's are noted for wiring cracking in the conduit from the B post to the door itself. 1st step is to R&R the door panel and see if power is getting to the motor or not, DON'T touch anything, just TEST for power command to the motor. If no volts, THEN try gently pulling on the wires where they exit the conduit to see if one is obviously broken. If so, then I hope you're good with a soldering gun. I recommend putting in about a 12" patch through the conduit area as the wiring is already brittle, and making a repair that just ends up in the same bend point won't last. You want nice supple wiring inside the bend area again. Replace as many of them as you want, inspect for insulation cracking. You could of course also have a bad switch, power supply is OK if the right front works, as it's fused together (right front with left rear and vice-versa), a bad switch in the door will also make window quit fron the front switch. If power is getting through then of course it's the window motor.
OH and if no voltage and also apparent broken wire, you could still have a cracked wire but the insulation is still somewhat intact, may have to explore a bit more, loosen up conduit to inspect wire, you of course don't want to tug hard on the wiring trying to find a broken one ("careful what you wish for" policy I guess you'd say, as in "THERE, NOW you have a broken wire, dumass!" Fix the wire you just ruined, then you're back to step 1 trying to diagnose the problem. FUN let me tell ya. Does this sound like the voice of experience or what?).

Gilly