Thread: fan clutch?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 02:33 AM

Jim

Yes I did read the post. What I'm wondering is if anyone has actually compared or measured the movement of the bms itself. Was the clutch to spec before he replaced it? Had it lost any silicone before it was replaced?

The silicone viscosity and volume will have an impact on locking temperature as the chamber will need less fluid to achieve full lock and so the bms doesn't 'need' to bend as much - although I suspect this has a minimal effect.

Of course my vfc locks! It's perfect in operation and meets all the requirements as detailed in MB documentation - however I have replenished the fluid with what is commonly believed to be the replacement for vfcs - 10,000-15,000CST silicone. So I do appreciate that 'maybe' my clutch isn't running exactly as the original. But, still it operates as originally spec'd.

Maybe newer clutches operate at higher temperatures and therefore don't meet the original MB doc specification anymore - that's another thought?

Maybe they all loose fluid over time?

We don't need to take measurements to understand the designer's intention regarding the vfc locking before the aux fans - we just ask them!

Also I must get one of those laser temperature measuring gadets.... and I'll have a play...

Lea

http://antron.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/i...nature/Sig.jpg