Thread: fan clutch?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 PM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

I can't be . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaUK
Interesting thought about the tstat (no I didn't replace it), but I'm constantly watching the coolant gauge and so monitor it when the tstat must have fully opened - hard driving/motorway use etc... The car always reaches 80C in around 10 minutes - the time it takes for me to drive to work...
certain, but, as I related in my previous post, my tstat did the same thing; took forever (10 mins is forever) to warm; now about 2 mins tops.

Looks like your "cool" engine has a culprit! One of the signs that a tstat is stuck, is slow warmup. Even in cold weather, the engine should warm quickly because it's a closed system and the tstat shouldn't open till the engine is at the tstat temp. If it takes a long time in cool weather, then it's most likely open a bit. Now the engine has to heat all of the coolant to get to temp. That would nicely explain the 85C readings.

. . regarding the 'specs', you can't read it since the 'tab's get removed in html. It is in a readable chart in MENU#18 for all three speeds (some models don't have three) along with the a/c pressures for aux fan activation. Can't forget about a/c.

Visit my Mercedes Web Page

Last edited by JimF; 04-25-2005 at 07:41 PM.