View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 12:15 PM

W140 : one more Achiles heel to the LONG list...

Recently, on first early morning starts, my S 500 L started to hesitate a little.

I assumed the battery might have lost some charge, so I proceeded to charge it a little on the weekend.

My car is factory equipped with the original Mercedes-Benz refrigerator/freezer unit which is trunk mounted on the left side (a $2,500 option at the time). The unit can hold six bottles of whine or four six-packs.

This setup has a peculiar "benefit" (I thought). The fridge comes with an AC-converter/Battery Charger that can be hooked up directly to the fridge line and charge the battery from a regular 110V outlet.

The procedure is clearly explained on the Owner's Manual with graphics and everything.

My surprise was that after disconnecting the charger and started the car, the alternator light came and stayed on. This had never happen before.

When the tech came to inspect the alternator, he found the negative diode's board at the alternator fried. He commented that the diodes on W140s are very prone to sudden failure. I was very dissapointed since the charger is factory supplied and recommended for this procedure.

I guess this is (for me!) a new item for the long list of Achiles heels on W140s (next weekend I will be installing the THIRD door closing assist pump in a period of two years!). It is a shame, because I definitely consider the W140 the best ride around, period. You just have to be patient with it.
E 320 T, 1995 [Sadly sold ]

Last edited by A. Rosich; 04-27-2005 at 12:24 PM.