View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 06:16 PM

300 SD Shock change success

Many thanks for all the helpful tips. I used a variety of the suggestions offered and completed this job as follows;

Secure a 10mm socket -12 points;
Loosen front lug nuts-one side only;
Jack up front of car; Secure with jack stands; I also used a jack under the wheel suspension assembly to prevent spring flight. There was some debate about this and I didn't want to take a chance;
Remove wheel;
Tap 12 point socket onto the shock mounting bolt you can reach (outside bolt)-remove bolt;
Remove double nuts from top of shock; remove bushing and washer from shock top post;
Using a socket and extension, shove down the shock post into the wheel well while pulling shock away from engine with other hand. This sounds harder than it is;
Remove other shock mounting bolt which is now easily accessible-pull old shock free;
Install new bushing and retaining washer onto top of new shock per manufacturer's instructions. I used the manufacturer's tiedown to hold the shock in compact position for installation;
Reinstall shock mount bolts with blue threadlocker and torque down;
Align shock post to upper mounting hole and cut tiedown free. Shock will slowly extend itself into position;
Install new bushing and washer to align shock properly in upper mounting hole;
Install new doublenuts with blue threadlocker and torque down;
Reinstall wheel; Tighten lugs; remove/move jacks;
Repeat on other side.
Took about one hour to change both shocks.

Thanks again for the help.
Jones