View Single Post
Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 AM

Disney World Orlando - Any Tips?

We are going to do a road trip from Dallas with our 3 and 5 year old boys visiting relatives in Atlanta and also Disney World in Orlando for 3 days. We have done extended driving with the kids before - Honda Odyssey with DVD player and new movies they haven't seen before really works wonders, as well as stopping every couple hours just to let them run around and stretch their legs. Oh, and not pumping them full of sugar helps too. The driving should be fine.

It has been almost 20 years since I was at Disney World; I was just a kid at the time. Now it's somewhat surreal making plans to take my own kids there. We have traveled extensively with the kids to various U.S. cities as well as internationally; both kids have passports with stamps that many adults would envy - they're great travelers. But believe it or not, this whole theme park thing seems far more daunting than a slow-paced trip through Paris or Venice or Zurich. Seems more chaotic and stressful. And it seems way more expensive too.

So I'm looking for tips. All tips are welcome, but I am especially interested in tips and tricks for saving money. For example, I know Paris very well and know where to lodge, eat cheap, etc. and can survive on very little funds. But in looking online and in speaking with others who have been to Disney, it would seem that prices for hotel, food, and park tickets can cost a small fortune.

For starters, here are a few general questions:

1) Is it cheaper to stay in a nearby hotel like a Hilton or Hampton Inn and buy the park tickets, or is it cheaper to stay in a Disney hotel (I understand you automatically get admission if you stay there). Obviously staying at Disney would be more convenient.

2) Any alternatives to the insane food prices inside the park? What amount should I budget per day?

3) Will 3 days at the Magic Kingdom overwhelm the 3 and 5 year olds? Should we break it up with a day at Epcot in the middle? Are mid-day naps recommended?

4) Any tips on getting discounts or deals on the park tickets if not staying onsite?

5) Any good restaurants or other sights in the immediate area that we shouldn't miss while we're there?

6) Any bad experiences we will want to avoid? For instance rides that aren't worth it or might scare the kids.

7) Any tips on coping with the crowds with a 3 and 5 year old? For instance, waiting in long lines. Will it be hard to keep track of them in the endless sea of people?

8) What if it rains? Can the park still be enjoyed?

That's it for starters. I'm sure I'll think of more. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
86 W126 560SEL
85 W126 380SE Silver
85 W126 380SE Cranberry
79 W123 250
78 W123 280E
75 W114 280